Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Always so full of life!

April 15, 2014

Happy Tax Day!  My family is on a spring break trip in Southern Utah for the week.  I called my parents before we left . . to find them in their car on their way home from going out to dinner.  They had me on speaker phone.  I love how my Mom's social skills are still pretty great.  In the background, I could hear her saying, "What's new with you guys?"  "Be sure and drive careful," "What have you guys been up to?"  I didn't have a chance to really talk to her since there were others in the car and we were on speaker phone, but I love that she's still as thoughtful as ever!  

I just talked to my parents again on the phone this morning.  Unfortunately I am not going to be around to help my Dad out with my Mom today while he goes to his usual Tuesday meeting downtown!  He doesn't know what he'll do with my Mom, but my guess is she'll end up staying home alone . . and that makes me a little uncomfortable.  I joked with my Dad that he could fly her down here for the day?! :) haha  Wish it was that easy! 

My Mom was very happy on the phone and wondered what we are up to.  She said she wished she was down here with us vacationing, and then in reference to my Dad in the same room as her, she said "this guy is being very nice to me!"  I'm wondering who she thinks my Dad is??  

2009 in my backyard!
My Mom has always been so full of life . . and active and energetic . . and I never want to forget that!  Years ago I remember her doing hand stands and even headstands.  I remember being so amazed at how long she could hold her hand stands and would try and try to be as good as her!  She was a cheerleader in high school and college and so I guess she got a lot of practice!  Quite recently, in the last 5 years or so, I have seen her doing cartwheels and jumping on a trampoline.  Keep in mind that she is around 65 years old in this photo! 

When she was younger, like in her 30's and 40's, she tap danced with a group of ladies and started up the game of tennis.  I don't think she took up tennis until she was about 35 but then she progressed very quickly.  Her and her tennis team were very good and even played in National Championship tournaments! 

Through even the last 10 years she has continued to play tennis, hike, bike, walk, dance and sing! :)  We decided long ago that we are going to sing and dance in heaven together!  Can't wait! :)  I hope there's hiking too!


Flashing back to 5.5 years ago . . .

September, 2008

My Mom is a primary teacher, which I believe might be the first time she has taught primary in all her years.  She's always worked with the youth (Young Women's) and with the women in Relief Society.  I think she quite likes it in primary (with the 11 year old girls), but I also think it's a bit of a challenge for her right now. She has told me that "teaching primary is just so hard with all the distractions . . . but I don’t want to ask to be released.  I don’t want to be treated different."  She's afraid to ask to be released, or to be released without asking, because then what?  What calling will she get next? 

Right before leaving on their mission in 2000 . . with my 3 oldest!
My Mom had an incident a little while ago where she went shopping at a strip mall.  When she went to leave and find her car, she could not remember where she parked!  She walked all around and never could find it, and ended up having to call my brother Steve who went and rescued her.  I feel so bad for her!  How frustrating would that be to not be able to find your car after shopping?  I think we've all lost our car briefly at some time or another, but to not find it for a long period of time? 

I'm so thankful for all of my Mom's friends who have stuck by her.  A few that come to mind are Faye, Margaret P., Suzanne L. . . . who all continue to call her to do things . . to go hiking and biking and other things!  I've got to remember to be a good friend like this to my friends . . . even if something happens to them that makes them not so fun to hang out with anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment