Saturday, November 14, 2015

Mom's first great grandchild was born and will carry her name!

November 13, 2015  


My hubby and I, new grandparents!
I went to visit my Mom last week in her new home of about 6 weeks. Things are going pretty well there as far as I know.  Her medications are keeping her mostly calm, but also quite sleepy most of the time. I've heard that she has her stubborn moments where she won't take a pill or put on a certain shirt or something like that, but other than that, it is going as well as it could under the circumstances I suppose.


Last week's visit
When I arrived in the mid afternoon, I found about 5 of the residents, including my Mom, sitting in their common area involved in a little sing-along. They were watching a video on a large tv screen of a guy in various nature settings singing old songs, with the words for them to sing along. My Mom was sitting sideways on the couch, not facing the tv or looking at it, but just listening. I'm pretty sure my Mom is not able to see very well, or at least she is probably unable to process what she is seeing . . . . but she can definitely hear. Most of the residents were not singing along but just watching. Mom sang along to the song "Take Me out to the Ball Game" and hummed along to some of the other songs. The movie, "Sound of Music" was then put on for them and I stayed with her for about 90 minutes. I attempted some conversation, but it's now pretty difficult. My mom does not make a lot of sense anymore, but I go along with her stories as if she does.


At one point we walked down to my Mom's room, but she didn't want to go in. I told her our good news that she was a new Great Grandma as my daughter just had our first grand child on Halloween morning! The baby's name is Claire Merrilee with the middle name after my Mom . . and I told my Mom that. My Mom's response after not seeming to understand much about our conversation that day, was "That makes me want to cry . . . I'm so proud!" As she teared up and got emotional, I of course did too! How cool is that that my first grand child . . . and she is a cutie I might add . . is going to carry on my Mom's name! I couldn't be more happy about that! Now we just need to get my daughter and Claire out to visit her so that we can get some photos of them together! I also want to get some photos of the four generations . . my Mom, me, Sarah and Claire! That's in the plan for next week! 
Claire Merrilee

I've been reading through my Mom's last journal . . which begins in May of 1994 and ends with her last journal entry in January, 2009! It's hard to believe that she started that journal, which is only one third full, over 20 years ago! It's fascinating to read all about her crazy busy and active life . . as I now imagine her wandering around her new place of residence and not doing much of anything. She had such a full life and was involved in so much!  Here are a few random excerpts . . .

May 1, 1994
It has been a busy time.  I not only work 3 hours every morning, but often play tennis in the afternoons. I have also recently drawn up a petition and circulated it in the East High area gathering names of those who also have concerns about the new trimester system at East. I have also been a parent representative on Salt Lake District applied Technology Committee. We have visited all of the high schools in our area to ascertain whether we need an Applied Technology Center in Salt Lake.  The answer is definitely "Yes"! and I wrote a letter to each member of the school board telling them so. I am also working many Saturdays taking my students to work in the LDS or VA Hospitals.

January, 1995
I was asked at East High to be the boy's tennis coach. (in addition to teaching her nursing careers classes!) At first I said "no", but then decided that someone needed to get them playing . . . so I started a tennis ladder. Lee H. also agreed to coach and so the two of us are working with the boys every day after school.  It's a lot of time but fun to work with Mike and Steve (my brothers) and many of their friends.


My beautiful Mom on one of their many adventures!
(The following journal entry is a classic poem written by my Mom . . .) 
July 10, 1995 
I just found a copy, as I cleaned out my file, of a poem I wrote years ago (the only one) . . .

Some talents seem so very great and easy to express
When I sit down to write a poem, I feel it is a mess
Some have a special gift for words that easily do flow
But all of my creative writing talent could be found in one's big toe!
It just doesn't seem quite fair sometimes, when my soul burst forth with words
Only to find my work quite trite and strictly for the birds
It is true that the best of poets may have started this way too?
Or should I find some other "hidden" talent to pursue? 


September 17, 1995
I drove out to Mardi and Matt's ward to tend their children while they spoke in their new ward.  I then helped Mike teach our young adult Sunday school class. After, we went to the Western Institute of Neuropsychiatry to speak in their sacrament meeting.

I am teaching two nursing assistant classes right now and am the girl's tennis coach at East High.  It's lot of  fun but I am overextended.


Mom and her nursing careers students . . . how she loved teaching those kids!
My Mom used to visit a couple that lived in the apartments by their house, on a regular and frequent basis. Both the man and the woman had Multiple Sclerosis and did not get around very well. The man was in a wheelchair and the woman was also in a wheelchair but in better condition than her husband, as she could walk around a little, but they both struggled to do a lot of things on their own. My Mom would go in and help them with different things around their apartment, and would pick things up for them and drive them to various appointments and functions. She also gave them a lot of support and love. The following journal entry is about an experience she had with the husband.

March 20, 1997
I had a very special experience with Jim R. several weeks ago.  I felt Heavenly Father's spirit there so strongly.  I sat down close to him and had good eye contact with him. He told me how depressed he was, and for the next 30 minutes we talked about the pains and suffering of Jesus Christ, and why suffering is necessary for all of us, and what a better life is ahead. I also told him how much I care about him and how much Heavenly Father cares about him. It was tearful and touching and a moment I don't want to forget.  I knew for a few moments just how much our Heavenly Father and Jesus love Jim -- and me! And how much we need to love each other.

Such a classy lady . . . my Mom has always been!! 


1 comment: