Friday, May 9, 2014

Thank you, Mom! Happy Mother's Day!

May 9, 2014

On this Mother’s Day, I wanted to thank my fabulous Mom for the many great things I have learned from her over the years!  Moms are the greatest!

“All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.”  
-Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Mom . . . 

  • . . . For being one of the best examples of service I have ever seen!  On many occasions I accompanied you as you visited the sick and lonely and I often witnessed many nursing careers students and young women coming to visit you at our house.  You had such a way with people that you just knew how to make them feel good about themselves and they loved to be around you.  You taught me to love God and others!
  • . . . For emptying trash cans onto my bedroom floor while I was at school a few different days . . to teach me the valuable lesson of consequences.  I knew that I should have finished my chore of emptying ALL the garbages before leaving for school, but sometimes I was testing you and most likely being a little lazy too!  You were good about following through with consequences, and I appreciated that they were never too harsh . . . just harsh enough to teach me a good lesson!  
  • . . . For chasing me around the house the day after my first kiss, trying to get me to admit it had happened!  I realized then that there were no secrets I could keep from you!  You could read me like a book!  I loved that you knew me so well and that I could talk to you about anything and everything! 
  •  . . . For crying with us when our dogs died, and showing me that it’s ok to show emotions even as an adult.  I know we promised you that we would take care of those animals ourselves and that you would hardly have to get involved . . . but the reality is, we know you did most of the work in taking care of those dogs (Chuck, Wrigley, Bentley etc.) and other animals!  It was you that often picked up their poop and fed them!  Thanks for your patience with us! 
  •  . . . For being there when I got home from school on most days!  I remember running home from the bus stop, knowing that you would be there to patiently listen to me ramble on about boys, friend issues, etc.  I always knew I had a safe place to go to talk about what was on my mind!
  •  . . . For waiting up for me when I was a teenager and not getting too mad when I was a little late!  You might remember that time when I had a 12:30 curfew and I walked in at about 1am to find you sitting at the kitchen table, looking very disappointed!  Thank you for caring enough to wait up for me and then not blowing your top at me . . even when you were probably so tired and could have had 2 hours of sleep already!  Again, thank you for your incredible patience! 
  • 1969 with my Mom!
  • . . . For making me stay at the kitchen table until my spinach or asparagus was eaten as a little girl!  You taught me that we need to try new things and that sometimes we will even find new foods that we like!  I’m still not a cooked spinach fan, but I’m glad that you made me try it anyway, and encouraged me to eat my veggies!  I’m happy to tell you now that I will eat most anything!  I'm no longer so picky!
  •  . . . For letting me cook by your side, and teaching me to cook many of your best dishes.  I remember making scrambled eggs and omelettes with you, french toast, all kinds of cookies, sweet rolls, chicken and broccoli casserole, crescent rolls, donuts, German pancakes, deviled eggs, cheese fondue and the list goes on and on.  Although you probably don’t remember that you cooked at all, as Dad has done most of the cooking for the last handful of years, we will always remember that you did, and we thought you were an awesome cook!   
  • . . . For allowing me to raid your closet and wear many of your clothes!  I was always so grateful that I was your only daughter that wore the same size clothes and shoes as you.  I always thought you had the classiest taste and I loved to borrow your clothes!  You never seemed to mind and have always been such a great example of generosity!
    One of her cartwheels or handstands!
  •  . . . For doing cartwheels and hand stands on the grass, for tap dancing in the kitchen, doing leaps in the air where you would tap your heels together . . . showing me that life is to have fun and to be enjoyed, and not to be taken too seriously!  
  •  . . . For making me take swim lessons when I was young where they made me tread water for the first 5 minutes of class . . . and I thought I might die.  I have always been a very confident swimmer and I thank you for that!  I’m glad you pushed me to do hard things!   
  • . . . For teaching me that reading can be fun and enjoyable!  You were always reading some book for your book club or just for fun, and I appreciate that example!  When I have the time, I enjoy a good book too! 
  •  . . . For being my taxi driver through the years . . to school, piano lessons, violin, ballet, art, swim team, tennis, and anytime I just needed a ride to or from a friend's house!  I never remember any complaints about having to be in your car so much!  You were also my best cheerleader and supporter at tennis matches, dance and music recitals, and to all my other events! 
  •  . . . For teaching me to file away my church lessons and talks.  I now do the very same thing and I love to have them right at my fingertips when I need them!  I think I will raid your files one day . . . I'm sure I will find many treasures there!  
  • . . . For being a diligent journal writer and for teaching me to do the same.  I look forward to reading all your journals one day!  
  •  . . . For helping me to see the joy in being outdoors and the importance of a little exercise! You have been a great walking and hiking partner through the years and I am an outdoor lover as a result! Being outside is my therapy, as I know it is for you too!
  •  . . . For taking a ton of photos everywhere we went, and inspiring me to do the same.  Don’t worry that you don’t take photos anymore . . . I’ve got it covered and will take it from here!  ,
  •  And lastly, thank you for showing me how to love and for always loving me unconditionally! 

You are a gem of a Mom and don't you forget that! I know that you have always been afraid that we will forget the person you were when your mind was healthy and strong. Rest easy and know that I am going to make sure that your goodness and love and example will be carried on forever, as I'm sure your other kids and grand kids will too!  Love you now, always and forever! 
Happy Mother's and Grandmother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment